Check in and Chat Volunteer
About the Volunteer Opportunity
Age NI, with the support of the Commissioner for Older People for Northern Ireland, is offering a ‘Check in and chat’ telephone service for everyone who is over 60 in Northern Ireland, who may feel isolated or lonely during this time. It’s hoped that the initiative will help provide some reassurances to older people, answer basic queries and link people to local services and support during the Coronavirus outbreak.
What will you be doing?
- You will make a weekly telephone call to a local older person and liaise with them directly to arrange your calls. This call could be between 10-30 minutes
- Engage in meaningful conversation, providing company and a friendly voice to someone who may be isolated and lonely
- Complete a contact log at the end of your call which will be returned to the Check in and Chat Coordinator
- Report back to the Check in and Chat Coordinator if any needs arise or if the older person needs to be signposted to another organisation for further support.
- The role is very flexible and can be tailored to suit you and your service user.
What support will you get?
- A thorough and virtual induction training with an e-training pack
- A central point of contact (Check in and Chat coordinator)
- Supervisions and ongoing support
What will you gain?
- Fulfilment – feel good about making a positive, life changing difference
- Learn new skills
- Gain social interaction and a chance to develop friendship and knowledge on available services and activities
- Boost your CV and increase your employability
- This role is only suitable for those 18 and over and is subject to an informal interview, Basic Access NI check and a reference check.
About the Organisation
Age NI is the leading charity in Northern Ireland dedicated to helping everyone make the most of later life. We believe in a world where everyone can love later life and we work every day to achieve this.
We help thousands of people every year, providing companionship, advice and support for older people who need it most.
Register your interest
Volunteers may be required to complete an Access NI disclosure for some volunteering roles. A criminal record will not necessarily be a bar to obtaining a volunteer position.