About the Volunteer Opportunity
Transform Lives with Extern
Join us as a volunteer to make a real difference
MUST Hostel offers accommodation and support to single people who are homeless, and provides a modern supported housing service which is flexible and holistic. The hostel has 20 beds and accepts both males and females. MUST Hostel is also a Probation Approved Hostel and works with PBNI to supervise those who are subject to supervision.
The Volunteer Caterer will work closely with the hostel’s Catering Supervisor to deliver an efficient and high quality meal service, and will gain excellent experience of a working within a professional kitchen. Full training including Basic Food Hygiene is provided. The role is flexible to suit the availability of the volunteer.
· To assist in the preparation of snacks and meals.
· To serve food items and beverages.
· To monitor and record hot and cold food temperatures.
· To assist with shopping and ordering of stock.
· To ensure food safety and food hygiene at all times.
· To assist with table clearing and washing of dishes.
· To respect the right to privacy for all Extern service users, maintain their confidentiality and not disclose any personal information to anyone other than those authorised personnel within the charity.
· To undertake all training identified by the Volunteer Co-Ordinator/Project Manager to promote safe and best practice, including Health and Safety.
· Extern will offer you the opportunity to undertake a Basic Food Hygiene qualification, which is required for this role.
· Extern will provide you with personal kitchen clothing and personal protective wear.
Once vetted, volunteers are booked onto comprehensive induction training including:
-Welcome to Extern
-Code of Conduct & Boundaries
-Reporting Disclosures and Whistleblowing
For this role there will be additional Food Hygiene training.
Once induction training has been completed, volunteers will meet with the dedicated Volunteer Supervisor for a local induction into the role and completion of an induction checklist. Volunteers have access to a volunteer portal and will receive regular supervision and support.
About the Organisation
We transform lives as the leading social justice charity across the island of Ireland. Operating since 1978, we believe another chance can change a life.
Each year we speak up for and support more than 25,000 children, young people, individuals and families. We enable them to overcome their challenges, empower positive change and support family unity.
We also support, house, and advise people who are:
- homeless or facing homelessness
- the Traveller community
people who have been through the criminal justice system
- living with the impact of suicide
- dealing with mental health
- dealing with drug and alcohol issues
Extern recognises that volunteers are a core part of our team, with a distinctive but complementary role alongside our paid staff. We benefit from the skills, experience and enthusiasm which they bring to our organisation.
We believe that volunteers should benefit from their experience too, and we are committed to supporting our volunteers.
Volunteers complement the work we do, and can often bring fresh ideas to our ways of working. In fact, many of our current staff started off volunteering many years ago and didn’t want to leave the organisation!
Share this opportunity.
Register your interest
Volunteers may be required to complete an Access NI disclosure for some volunteering roles. A criminal record will not necessarily be a bar to obtaining a volunteer position.